Michael, is our patient. His story is not unique. Thank you Michael for allowing me to tell your story.
March 2010, Michael began having symptoms of Vertigo (with no apparent cause) - which included: blurred vision, seasick, trouble speaking, difficulty in controlling his entire right side of his body, trouble walking and at times, double vision.
In the year prior, Michael had a series of three severe migraines - but nothing since.
His symptoms gradually became worse to the point he could no longer drive his car and work as an auto accident claim adjuster.
What was done for Michael, a review:
- MRI cervical spine (neck) showed disc dessication (degenerated discs)
- MRI brain scan with contrast - normal
- Evoked potential response - normal
- CT scan - normal
- Electroencephalography (measures electrical brain activity) - elevated SP/AG ratios bilaterally
- ENG - up beat nystagmus in all head positions with random saccades showed prolonged latency
- Caloric testing - normal
- Electrodiagnostic testing - abnormal median nerve block with C.T.S. - carpal tunnel syndrome
- Rombers test consistently fell backwards with eyes closed
- Otoacusoustic emissions abnormal with low frequencies
What doctors did Michael see?
- Family doctor
- ENT specialists
- Neurologists (several)
What hospitals did Michael go to?
- John Hopkins
What treatments and medications did they recommend for Michael?
- Topamax - unhelpful
- (side note - alcohol helped)
- Treatments, Vestibular rehab - unhelpful
What was Michael's s diagnosis?
- Mal debarquement with migraine syndrome, with occular flutter
What was Micheal's results?
- no improvement
How did Michael, end up at our office?
A mutual friend had requested a prayer or to keep Michael in our thoughts at a business meeting. After the meeting I told our mutual friend to have Michael contact me for help. Michael present to my office for a consult. Michael reviewed with me what has been done.
I then explained what I would attempt to do. I also told him I may not be able to help, but if his condition was do to an abnormal segmental and global shift (subluxation in the chiropractic lexicon) in his spine irritating his nervous system - then I may be able to help.
What did Advanced Chiropractic do?
(helped get his life back - just in case you wanted the short version)
- Lateral and A to P (anterior to posterior) standing neutral cervical radiograph (x-ray of the neck) - Primary Condition: Moderate A.H.S. Anterior Head Syndrome moderate in severity with Secondary Conditions of ; Degenerative Disc and Joint Disease
- Palpation (felt the area of his upper neck) revealed hypo-mobility (locked up or stuck) of C1/C2 (cervical vertebra)
- Palpation also revealed pain and tenderness at C1/C2.
What was the care provided at Advanced Chiropractic?
( I told Michael, that healing takes time and that I would see him 2 to 3 times per week for the next 3 months)
I told Michael that we would be doing a procedure called a Correction.
- The Correction involves: Michael laying prone (face down) on our correcting table with his head rotated (turned) to the right. The correcting table is designed to place Michael's spine in the optimal correcting position. The correcting table is designed to reduce the force applied to Michael's spine - yet still provide a comfortable patient experience.
- The Correction was applied by my hand at Michael's right C1/C2. (I also use a Correcting Instrument, but in this case I chose to use my hand.)
What was Michael's results?
- Immediate resolution of symptoms after first correction.
- It's been 3 months since first starting our care with no relapse
Michael is following through with the initial phase of care, which is 2- 3 times per week for his correction - only if I detect the segmental or global abnormality of the spine will I give a correction.
After the correction we place Michael in our Structural rehab to influence his cervical curve back into the normal range.
Why did our care work?
I don't know - for sure. This is what I think may be the reason. Our nervous system has a job and that job is to coordinate our internal environment and adapt our bodies to our external environment. When this system is interfered with by a global or segmental shift in spine, a Primary Condition, such as A.H.S (Anterior Head Syndrome) causes Secondary Conditions, in this case vertigo.
It is my job to detect and correct these abnormalities in the spine - allowing Michael's nervous system to function without this interference. Allowing the doctor that is within all of us to assume the role of healer. Another way to say it, we removed the obstruction to healing, which allowed for Michael's body to restore normal homeostasis.
Side and final note:
I don't claim to cure or treat vertigo - what I do is Detect and if found Correct small spinal structural abnormalities that interfere with your nervous system, or as you know your operating system. It's a small abnormality - that can effect your body.. as in Michael's case - immensely.
It is my wish that you look to me as a resource for health and wellness, and yes if the need for my service ever arises in your family - then it is my hope that my name is near the top of your list of people to call.
If you've been everywhere and still are searching for a solution - then call me and set up a complimentary consult (which is a conversation and never a commitment), I may be able to help you.
Have a GREAT day,
Dr. Chris and the "CREW"