A trusted advisor can make all the difference between making a purchase for a diamond or getting ripped off with a piece of glass. Vitamins or supplements can be placed in the same category as needing a trusted advisor.
Just like a trusted advisor in the diamond field will teach you about the 4C's.... (guys if I lost you just skip down to the next paragraph.) Which as I'm sure you know are cut, carat, clarity and color. And of course the different ranges for each of the categories. The trusted advisor can direct you to maybe a smaller carat diamond, but one with better color and less flaws. Does this make sense to you? Bigger is not always better and smaller is not always best, but one things for sure... you can't know everything - or just enough to get you in trouble.
So who is your trusted advisor?
Is it the kid in the mall at a box chain store, is it a ware house club- with bottles and bottles of product, how about the internet or those long T.V. infomercial that run all day on the weekends with the ever smiling personalities. (Side note: Why are the people always beautiful pitching those supplements?) How about lots and lots of testimonials - they must prove that this product is the good stuff. How about price? Is more expensive always the better product? How about exotic sounding names or highly "scientific" procedures, that must mean this product is quality. Just like in the news business the old saying; if it bleeds it leads.... well in the supplement industry it's; complicate to profit, simplify to get results. So, are they complicating or making it simple for you to make a decision?
I'll make it simple for you... because many look to me as a trusted advisor. (disclaimer: I sell a few supplements, BUT I DO NOT want you taking bags fulls of vitamins.)
What to look for when purchasing supplements or vitamins:
- Artificial Colors: better not have any - it's supposed to be a health product, right?
- Artificial Sweeteners: again, it's a health product - artificial IS NOT.
- Artificial Vitamin E: if yours starts out with dl-alpha-tocopheryl it's crap
- D-Amino Acids: The natural form is the L-form.... all you guys and gals exercising and taking your whey protein shakes... check the back of the label - RIGHT NOW- if it's D form - you got screwed.
- Genetic Modification: Is your product non-GMO? Health food should not be a Frankenfood.
- Heavy Metals: Are your products Muscularly Distilled? This process removes the metals to natural occurring levels or less.
- Hormones: Have harmful side effects, think women looking like men and men growing breasts...
- Hydrogenated or trans fat: Believe me when I tell you some supposed health products use this garbage.
- Irradiation: can cause natural components in herbs and botanical to become unnatural.
- Microbial contamination: does your product employ microbiologists to test for microbial contamination?
- Nanotechnology: jury is still out - not enough evidence yet
- Non-Bovine Chondroitin: This is a big one for joint pain.... chicken has been unproven.
- Oxidation: Natural products oxidize when stored... do you have a silica gel packet to remove moisture?
- PEG/PPG Polysorbate 80: PEG is antifreeze and PPG is in the same family. If you find this stuff in your CoQ10.. stop taking it.
- Pyrolizidine Alkaloids: Some natural herbs contain these alkaloids (liver toxins) and your supplements checking for theses?
- Residues: Pesticides and solvents are your products tested for this?
- Titanium Dioxide and Phosphates: Used to enhance appearance of the vitamin (makes them look pretty) NO NUTRITIONAL BENEFIT... leave me the spots on my apples please.
- Cis-CoQ10: is an important anti-oxidant any cardiologists knows this, however there are two forms the natural form trans-CoQ10 and the cheaper synthetic form the Cis-form. Again, it's a health supplement.. shouldn't it be the best product for you - not the cheapest to manufacture?
Print this blog out and take it with you to your current store for vitamins and see if any of your products are on our list. If they are then you have a choice. Stick your head in the sand and do nothing with this information I've provided you or have a trusted advisor, such as myself (shameless plug) direct you to whats best.
The FDA or our government is not looking out for you in the case of supplements, so more than ever trust is important and trust but verify is necessary. (meaning our products or any product you buy...specifically supplements or vitamins need to be independently tested)
I would like you to look at us as a trusted advisor, when you have a question please feel free to call us at 465-5358 and come in for a conversation... which IS NOT a commitment.
Have a Healthy & Prosperous Day